YOUR LIFESTYLE. OUR INSPIRATION.
Your Offer to Purchase has been finalized and now you are ready to start packing! There are a lot of things to do between now and moving day, but if you approach the job methodically, everything will go smoothly on the big day.
Leading up to the Move
- Contact your lawyer to confirm where and when your keys are being picked up.
- If necessary, arrange for daycare or pet sitting services on moving day.
- Arrange insurance for your new home.
- Set up accounts at a nearby bank.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they are packed, in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or videotape your belongings. Record the vserial numbers of your electronic equipment.
- Start using up food items so that there is less to pack and possibly spoil.
- Register your children at their new schools and arrange for necessary daycare.
- Locate all hospitals, police stations, veterinarian, fire stations and any other amenities in your new neighbourhood.
- Familiarize yourself with street parking by-laws in your new neighbourhood.
- Arrangements will be made for the transfer of your utility accounts (Water, Hydro, and Gas). You must call the utility companies personally to set up the accounts in your name, approximately 2 weeks prior to your closing date. You can arrange hook-ups for cable and telephone after closing.
- Fill out a change of address card for the post office and let your family and friends know your new address and phone number.
- Inform all newspaper and magazine deliveries of your new address.
- Inform all companies you deal with of the address change (e.g. credit cards, phone bill, etc.).
- Renew your driver's license and auto registration with your new address.